This video, produced by MTD, will teach you how to replace a push mower spark plug.
Most experts recommend replacing your spark plug once per mowing season.
Refer to our common recommended maintenance chart for other maintenance time recommendations.
- Verify you have the correct spark plug. We recommend checking your owners manual. Sometimes the spark plug in your lawn mower is not the spark plug that is supposed to be in your lawn mower.
- Disconnect spark plug wire.
- Using a spark plug wrench, turn the spark plug counter clockwise to loosen it.
- Remove the spark plug from the mower.
- Check the gap of the new spark plug using a spark plug gap gauge or a set of feeler gauges. Refer to your owners manual from the proper gap setting.
- Install the new spark plug being careful not to cross thread the plug. You should be able to thread it in smoothly by hand for a few turns.
- Using a spark plug wrench, tighten the spark plug. Be careful not to over tighten.
- Reconnect the spark plug wire.
PRODUCTS FEATURE IN THIS VIDEO:
Is your spark plug wearing abnormally? Check out our DIY How to Read a Spark Plug Guide.
Do you have questions or comments about how to change a push mower spark plug? Feel free to contact us via phone, email or the comments section below.